Saturday, September 10, 2011

Read More, Learn More, Change the Globe


It may come as a shock to you, but I love the rapper Nas. I think I have loved him ever since I was introduced to him in 9th grade by a fellow classmate who lent me her Nas Stillmatic CD for a road trip to New Orleans I was going on. Anyways I digress.  The point is he has a song titled “I Can”; and this is my motto for the students this new school year. 
The underlying message he sends is such a positive and encouraging tale of getting away from the streets, drugs, and violence through hard work, education and hope and belief in oneself. 
However, there is one particular line that strikes a chord in me, and always has.  It reads: Read more, learn more, change the globe.  So this is my hope for this new school year:  To help the students develop a love for reading and to help them to learn to read at a sufficient level to be productive citizens of their communities, societies and country; to learn as much as I possibly can while I am here, teaching, a PCV, and in general; and obviously for the students to learn something new everyday and every time they come to see me in the Reading Room; and together to change the globe one child at a time, one book at a time, one math problem at a time; to overcome adversity and challenges and to move forward together.

I know I can
Be what I wanna be
If I work hard at it
I’ll be where I wanna be.


No comments:

Post a Comment