Sunday, November 4, 2012

Random Ramblings



Today is the 4th of November.  That means there are exactly 2 months until my birthday (I’m getting old) and exactly 5 months until I am scheduled to come back to the States as a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer.

HOLY CRAP. Where did the time go? I am just now starting to do things I am interested in and passionate about (teaching integrate science and physics, starting a youth rugby team). Things have just started to get moving, I can’t be getting ready to leave yet. I am not ready to leave. But I find that that is all any one talks about.  Whether it is family/friends back home asking when I am coming back, neighbors and local friends telling me I’m leaving soon (what the heck, are you trying to get rid of me?), and fellow Peace Corps volunteers (we only really talk about 5 different topics; bowel movements and other illnesses, sex, food, and starting now, going home; oh and each other).

On an unrelated note here are some random ramblings:

Macaroni Beach, Mustique, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  1. I was on a van going to Town on Friday after school.  We reached a new record.  There were 30 people in a 14 (in other countries, or 18 in SVG) person van.  There were 4 adults: me, the driver, a conductor, and some other guy; and 26 secondary students.  You do the math.
  2. More about vans: on Thursday I had a seminar to go to in Town.  So I caught a van that isn’t from my area, but brings school children to the school down the road from my house.  What I didn’t know is that, it doesn’t go directly to Town but back tracks to where it originates from along the Windward coast.  Generally I like taking the long or wrong route to where ever I am going because then I get to see parts of the country that I wouldn’t normally travel through.  It took an hour to get to Town this morning instead of the usual 25 minutes (with no traffic and fast driving vans). THEN, on the way home, I decided to take the scenic route again and take a different van because it came before a van for my usual route.  However, it broke down before we even got out of Town and we all had to get off.  I thought it was going to be a problem getting another van considering it was rush hour, but luckily a van passed right by just as I got off.  This was an interesting ride.  It is not uncommon for you to get gas or make errands for the driver/conductor/others when in a van.  We took a little detour this time to get the driver’s son.  As we were waiting, the driver kicked the conductor out and left him there and we continued on our way as though nothing happened.  Just another day.
  3. I made my inaugural debut as a waitress this weekend.  I also spilled water all over a table.  Luckily I missed the woman’s lap. I was so embarrassed. The SVG National Rugby team held a fundraiser to get our youth rugby program going. Two of the Japanese volunteers made sushi for our SVG Rugby Sushi Night.  Members of the rugby team helped serve and prepare food/help in the kitchen.  Overall the event was a success, but I learned I never want to waitress again. That’s tiring work.
  4. Every morning, regardless of my mood, regardless of how I feel, regardless of everything, as I am walking to school, I reach a certain point in the road, and the only thought that crosses my mind is how beautiful this place is.  I am not sure what it is about rounding this corner (pics to come), but no matter what was on my mind before, is gone and is replaced with “man, I live in the most beautiful place in the world”, and a smile crosses my face. Every morning. At the same spot. It’s not even a particularly picturesque part of the country. But it is amazing.
  5. SVG just celebrated 33 years of Independence.  Some Independence traditions include blowing bamboo for a few weeks prior to/after Independence Day.  It sounds like gunshots. And it’s mildly terrifying.  I don’t think I will ever get used to it. There are competitions to see who can blow the loudest bamboo bomb. Oh and i went to Mustique and it was absolutely breathtaking.
  6. Luckily SVG does not celebrate Halloween because I abhor it.  But they do celebrate November 1st, or Day of the Dead in some communities.  Most communities that have cemeteries celebrate Nov 1st by lighting up graves with candles and/or putting candles on your porch in memory of loved ones that have passed away.  However, there are no cemeteries in my community or in any of the immediate villages by me, so no one that I know celebrates Day of the Dead traditionally.
  7. How do you move forward when you are just trying to keep the ship afloat?
  8. I remember around this time last year and I had nothing to do, I was so bored. I would read all the time and do random art projects.  Now I am so busy I don’t have a single moment to myself to just relax sometimes.  But its ok, because I am strange and I prefer to be busy and stressed.  I thrive on stress.
  9. My mosquito net is like my security blanket.
  10. I'm getting excited for Christmas.  Christmas time here is a lot of fun.
  11. Typically I only like even numbers, but here is one for good measure. Ants are relentless.  Ants never say die!

No comments:

Post a Comment