Thursday, January 6, 2011

Where am I going? Your Guess Is As Good As Mine!

Well lets see here...Its officially 3 weeks until my departure to Staging. I think (and hope) that its safe to say that I will definitely be going to St Vincent and the Grenadines, so a little info and facts about where I'll be living for the next 2.5 years:
  • St Vincent is a volcanic island in the Caribbean, apart of the Lesser Antilles island chain.
  • St Vincent is the largest of the chain of St Vincent and the Grenadines.
  • Located between St Lucia and Grenada; though Barbados is "close" and so is Trinidad and Tobago.
  • La Soufriere is a 4048ft active volcano on St Vincent, which last erupted in 1979.
  • Population is ~120,000. The Capital is Kingstown with a population of 19,300.
  • Literacy=88%
  • Unemployment=12-22%
  • Life Expectancy
    • Men=69
    • Women=74
  • Climate:
    • Mountainous
    • Well forested
    • Tropical humid (70-90F).
  •  Beaches have black and white sand. ~95% in St Vincent have black sand. But all beaches in the Grenadines have white sand.
  • St Vincent is 11 miles wide and 18 miles long.
  • Languages:
    • English
    • Vincentian Creole Dialect
    • some other native languages.
  • Major religions include (in descending order of percentage of population):
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Roman Catholic
    • Protestant
      • Seventh-day Adventist
    • Hindu
  •  They have a national rugby team!
So thats all I have for now.  I guess youll just have to check out my blog in a few more weeks to see what else I learn about SVG!

No comments:

Post a Comment